HMI Pad Forums Old forum Feature Requests (old) Ability to hide a tag based on data lookup values

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Erik Olsen 9 years, 1 month ago. This post has been viewed 1020 times

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Erik Olsen

Our company uses specific data values to determine if certain registers are supported for a given installation. If Scadamobile could hide a tag based on data values we could have dynamic display of data based on the available parameters at a specific customer site.

Example: Exhaust Temperature only uses 0-65255 for valid data. We use the scale feature of Scadamobile to display the correct Exhaust Temperature when the Modbus data is in our valid range. However, a specific site may not have an Exhaust Temperature Sensor installed. Our Modbus data for this site would have 65300 which tells our local HMI the sensor is not present and to hide the data. If Scadamobile could add an option to have the lookup feature direct that the tag row be hidden, it would be very powerful for our application. I envision the LOOKUP row might look something like the following:

alarm2 LOOKUP 65300 #HIDETAG

Thank you for considering this request,
      Erik

John
      Keymaster

Hi Erik

We have been considering your request and we agreed to implement it. However we will take a slightly different approach that we believe that will be more flexible and will open a door for implementing other features.

Instead of using the lookup table we will add the possibility to specify tag values or even expressions in attributes, for example imagine that in your tag you have

exaustTemperature INT HR0 label=”Exaust”; scale={0,65255,0,100}; visible=visibleTag ;

Then you create a tag named “visibleTag” which is also linked to your Exhaust Temperature but scaled in a way that it becomes 0 when the PLC value is 65300. This tag itself is hidden because you do not want to show it on the interface.

visibleTag BOOL HR0 scale={65300,65301,0,1} ; visible=false ;

When the value of the tag in the PLC is 65300 the value of ‘visibleTag’ will be 0 and consequently the ‘visible’ attribute of your ‘exaustTemperature’ tag will make it hidden.

You may argue that this approach is more complicated, and really it is, also to implement :-) , but on the contrary imagine the possibilities if this is made available for all attributes. You would be able to change colors, or ranges or whatever (not just the visible state) by simply setting tag values in your PLC.

Now imagine that we take a step further and allow dynamic expressions in attributes. For example, your exaustTemperature tag could be written as:

exaustTemperature INT HR0 label=”Exaust”; scale={0,65255,0,100}; visible=(rawExaustTemperature65300);
        rawExaustTemperature INT HR0 visible=false;

Wouldn’t that be cool?

Thanks,

Joan

Erik Olsen

Joan,

Thank you for approving my request. I agree that what you propose will be very powerful and useful for your customers. I can’t wait to try it out once you implement it.

Any idea of an estimated release date?

Erik

MarkSJI

This will help me greatly as well. If I see what you’re talking about I will be able to set a single bit in my PLC that shows/hides several tags and not just one using a single visibility tag in the CSV file. That would be spectacular.

John
            Keymaster

This will be exactly as you describe. The whole concept is that you will be able to specify tag names in attributes, and of course you will be able to use the same bit to hide/show several tags at once.

We already have an early version doing it but have been struggling with some annoying problems when a whole section or all tags on a page are hidden. We will eventually solve those issues and we expect to have the app ready to submit to the app store in a few days.

We initially will make it work only for the new ‘visible’ attribute since this is a common request, and no full expressions for now, just tag names. Then we will extend it to other attributes.

MarkSJI

Glad you mentioned the idea of whole pages or whole sections being hidden… likely I would be hiding at least whole sections and sometimes even whole pages. I think it’d be best if the page or section just disappeared too.

John
                Keymaster

Yes this is how we plan to do it. Hidden sections or pages will be completely removed from the interface unless of course the relevant bit in the PLC bring them back again.

Erik Olsen

I also really like the idea of hiding entire pages or sections.

I was considering requesting the ability to expand/collapse sections on a page. We have a page that has 5 sections and each section has approximately 10 parameters. In order to check a tag that is near the end of group 5 you have to scroll quite a lot to see the tag. If you could have the option to touch-expand/collapse sections it would make it easier for the user to quickly access data that is important to them.

John
                    Keymaster

Well, That’s yet another feature. What it is being implemented now is the ability to hide entire portions of the interface, including sections or pages by activating/deactivating bits in the PLC.

With the current approach you could put a writable boolean on top of each section to show/hide the remaining rows of the same section. This is not exactly what you want but could help

However what you ask for has sense too. We just need to figure out how to add this feature on the interface. I think that simply touching the title header would somehow break the standard Apple GUI guidelines, because it would not be consistent with other apps and can be confusing for an user who is not expecting it. Instead, we maybe could add a small icon at one edge of section headers to do so (not sure if this is even possible or practical). Let me think a bit more about that. Thanks.

John

dgentry

How about also allowing another tag to be used in part of the scaling equation then we could symbolize off of setpoint or alarm tags (e.g., high and low tank level tags). This could also be used in the example equation above allowing an integer tag to be used for visibility.

We are using SCADA Mobile for water distribution and sewer collection systems. For and example, the following script is what we use to display wet well depth in a sewer lift station. WetWellDepth REAL F8:0 ord:= 15; page:=”Greystone Lift Station”; section:=”Current Values”; label:=”Wet Well Level”; comment:=”"; suffix:=” ft”; format:=”0.1″; style:=”bar”; bounds:={0,10}; color:=”red”; color_bounds:={.4,5.9}; tint_color:=”green”;

If the wet well level is below or above certain values, it displays red, otherwise green. The reference points for these values are set point tags in our PLC currently but we are hard coding values in to the equation (e.g., color_bounds =(.4,5.9)). This means that if a user changes this set point in our system we have to remember to go back and adjust the CSV files used in SCADA Mobile to the new value. Allowing a tag reference in place of the .4 and 5.9 values would keep everything consistently up-to-date.

Thanks,

Dan

John
                        Keymaster

We are already working on this. In fact we are adding the ability to use expressions referring to tags in most attributes. The color_bounds attribute is one of them. So count on it for a future release.

John.

Erik Olsen

Quote John from above:
                            “However what you ask for has sense too. We just need to figure out how to add this feature on the interface. I think that simply touching the title header would somehow break the standard Apple GUI guidelines, because it would not be consistent with other apps and can be confusing for an user who is not expecting it. Instead, we maybe could add a small icon at one edge of section headers to do so (not sure if this is even possible or practical). Let me think a bit more about that. Thanks.”

Along the lines of what you mentioned about the small icon. How about adding a new setting under User Interface that allows the user to choose whether expand/collapse is possible for headers on a page. Then you could enable a +/- touch zone on the far left edge of the header that expands and collapses that section. By default you could have this set to disabled so it would not annoy the typical user.

John
                            Keymaster

Erik, we still think that the available space on the standard section headers as they are now is very small, specially its height, to make it comfortable for users to tap on them without risking to select nearby rows for adding /removing plots on a graph, so we are not pleased with this approach unless we redesign the section headers to appear taller when the collapse option setting you proposed is active.

On the other hand I would want to point out an alternate solution for your need that will be available when the ‘visible’ attribute is in effect. It may not be fully optimum, but I think that it would do most of what you want: With the addition of Expressions (I will discuss it latter) we plan to add the possibility to have Internal tags as well as PLC tags on ScadaMobile. So to make sections collapsible you just could place an internal tag on top of each collapsible section, let’s name it ‘expand/collapse’ tag, which in turn you can link to the visibility attribute of all remaining tags in that section. That way users would be able to switch the expand/collapse tag to do just that for the section. Collapsed sections would show only the expand/collapse tag, while expanded sections would show all tags.

John

John
                              Keymaster

We just wanted to let the followers of this thread know that we decided to add the ability to write Expressions on attributes the way described on the “accepted” post above. We will make expressions available not only to the ‘visible’ attribute but to some others. As a convenience for the extensive use of expressions we are adding Internal tags too, so integrators will be able to use them to store intermediate values without having to fetch them always from PLCs. Since this is taking some time to implement we will delay a bit the release of an update only supporting the ability to hide tags in a more simplistic approach. We are excited of making expressions available as we believe that they would represent a significant step forward to the functionality of the app and will expand its possibilities to be used in more situations.

John

John
                                Keymaster

Update: Version 2.0 now admits expressions in more attributes. Additionally to the previously supported ‘value’ and ‘hidden’ attributes, expressions can be now used in the following attributes, ‘color’, ‘on_label’, ‘off_label’. ‘button_label’ and ‘blink’. Also new advanced ways to format values are possible by using string expressions.

John

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © SweetWilliam, S.L 2009-2013. All rights reserved.
                                Science and Technology Park of the University of Girona, Emili Grahit, 91 (NarcĂ­s Monturiol building, Office P3-B03) 17003-Girona. Phone +34972183244