HMI Pad Forums Old forum Feature Requests (old) Siemens Symbolic Access

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  John 7 years, 8 months ago. This post has been viewed 3158 times

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

John
    Keymaster

About symbolic access on Siemens PLCs, we have investigated this and got to the conclusion that there is not such a thing.

Instead, we believe that Siemens software keeps a table with symbolic references pointing to actual addresses, and uses it when downloading projects to an HMI. As far as we have seen, actual communications however are still made using physical addresses.

Since ScadaMobile has no knowledge about the symbolic information held by Simatic S7 development tools, it is not possible to use symbols to communicate with Siemens PLCs.

We have made attempts with Siemens representatives to get information on this subject, but we found that either there was no information or they would not be willing to share it with us.

Said that, we encourage the SM community using the product with Siemens PLCs to share with us any information such as documents, Wireshark captures, internet links and any kind of data that could potentially help us to implement symbolic access to Siemens PLCs, in case this was indeed possible.

Thanks,

SweetWilliam S.L.

John
      Keymaster

Is it possible to add support for symbolic access to the S7 1200 using Siemens/ISO_TCP protocol?

urs
        Participant

Hi there

As far as Simens uses the TIA-Portal with its Version 11 (TIA = Total integrated Automation) all S7 PLC will be programmed the same way, is it really important that the symbolic adressing is supported by 3rd parties solution providers. That «scadamobile 2.1». does not support the symbolic adressing is a «no go» for buying the app.

see http://www.sps-forum.de/showthread.php/33647-Libnodave-S7-1200 (they are working on the same issue)

CU Urs

John
          Keymaster

Hi Urs, I was aware of that forum thread long ago!. However this still does not either solve or contradict my earlier post. The ultimate issue here is that Siemens is very closed with regard to giving any useful information.

The original developer of the Libnodave library once told me that he developed the library by reverse engineering the communication commands sent by a siemens HMI. We do not use libnodave, we developed our own driver instead, but yes, we also used a sniffing software to understand how the communication frames worked, just as the developer of libnodave did. In other words, neither of us got any direct info from Siemens, as it was my point.

I am pretty sure that symbolic addressing the way Rockwell Automation implements, does not exist for Siemens controllers. Inside the TIA-Portal everything works because the software configures all devices taking into account global symbol mapping information. But I have not seen symbols embedded in the communication frames at all. I may be completely wrong, of course, but this is what I am able to tell from what I have seen.

So, If you know of a third party solution that uses symbols to access siemens S7 controllers, or you know how to do it, please point me to the right direction. We will be of course very pleased of implementing it, the more happy users the better !.

Thanks !

SweetWilliam S.L.

Grzegorz
            Participant

Hi Team
              Siemens released application for the iPhone called the “S7-1200″ defined which supports symbolic access to the controller. Maybe that gave it to pull the relevant information to be implemented in SCADA MOBILE.

regards

Grzegorz
              Participant

First – Happy New Year to all

Any news About support of “Symbolic Access” in “ScadaMobile” app. I successfully use this method with original application “S7-1200″ and CPU-1215C. “Symbolic access” significantly simplifies access to the controller and save a lot of time in the writing of double libraries for “Scada Mobile”.

Thank you for any information.

PS – Any info About dedicated iPad app (HMI)

John
                Keymaster

We have no good news on symbolic access for Siemens, as we are unable to find any documentation describing this and Siemens do not help us at all. We understand that having this feature would be very welcome for many users and we would be very happy to support it. So far, we only can appeal to the ScadaMobile community using Siemens to bring to the forums or directly to us whatever information, link or useful data that could help us to achieve this goal. I will email you privately about the new app.

Grzegorz
                  Participant

Thanks for the info and I’m waiting on Your private email About the new app..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © SweetWilliam, S.L 2009-2013. All rights reserved.
                  Science and Technology Park of the University of Girona, Emili Grahit, 91 (Narcís Monturiol building, Office P3-B03) 17003-Girona. Phone +34972183244